Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Whirlwind Weekend

Phew-eeeeeeeeeeee!
This past weekend CRUH-HAZE-EEEY.
Yes, so crazy I needed to make "crazy" a 3-syllable word!

You should also know that by "weekend" I mean Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday!

Thursday, I decided very last minute that I was going to make the 4.5 hour drive to Pennsylvania to pay my respects to a well-deserved man.
I was in Girl Scouts for 12 or 13 years.
Angie was a girl in my troop for at least 9 of those 13 years.
Her mom, Shirley and dad, Joe came to all of our events and trips.
They were our honorary Girl Scout parents and we loved having them around.
(My mom was our girls out leader for all those years so it was fun having her there for everything too!)

Joe was a sarcastic and gruff guy.
Born in the Bronx, New York and there was no denying that.
You know Joe liked you if he picked on you relentlessly!
And boy did I ever feel the love from Joe!

As cancer so often does, it claimed Joe's life on this earth.
The viewing on Thursday was very respectable and a handful of the girls and mothers from my old troop were there to show the family how much Joe meant to us.
The services on Friday were lovely, emotional, and so Joe.

I left to head back to VA around 1 on Friday.
What should have been a 4.5 hour trip turned into 6.
No, 1.5 hours is not the worst I've ever encountered in travel delays, but you should all know I am incredibly impatient in traffic.
My behavior is absolutely ridiculous!
It took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles to my next interstate exchange.
Which led me to posting this on Instagram (@kbeavtann)


Seriously...I had 20 minutes on that traffic's time!

Saturday morning was spent getting all our stuff ready before we made the 1.5 hour trek up to Richmond, VA.
Once we got into town, we checked into our hotel room then right back out the door for my husband's Triathlon packet pick up and meeting, then to dinner...
Where I had my first ever experience with fish tacos.
When I first ever heard of fish tacos, my immediate thought was, "Um....gross" (think about it)
But now all these food network shows are making fish tacos and I'm all like, "Um...yum"

But my first experience was just mediocre.
So, friends, I'm on the fish taco hunt!!
If you know who's got the best out there, please share!
(And just be warned, if you provide me with a restaurant that is not a chain and nowhere near my area, then I'm coming for a visit!)

Sunday started at 4:30 am with the preparation of my husband's first ever Triathlon.
I won't go into much about the details of the event until tomorrow or Thursday but I am so proud of my husband for the effort he put into completing this incredible accomplishment!

It was a long morning and Royce and I may have fallen asleep on the 1.5 hour ride back home while our triathlete drove.

We got home and had a little bit of a breather before we were headed out the door for a birthday party.
I was asleep by 9:30 pm.


Monday started out with a playdate with 4 other toddlers and 2 little babies!
I always look forward to our little playdates!
I love watching the kids interact and play.
And I love getting in some adult/mommy interaction!

And then our Monday got even better when my mom arrived to spend a few days with us!!

Needless to say, it's been a busy, busy, busy 5 days and I feel like I could still use a 2-day weekend!
And this week and weekend ain't slowing down either.
But when summer life is busy, that means fall gets here sooner!!
And can I get an AMEN for cooler weather running?!? and colorful leaves, pumpkin spice everything, jeans and sweaters...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a long weekend! You deserve a break! Or at least some coffee! I agree with the cooler weather too. I am ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like 3-syllable crazy to me! Sorry about Joe - he sounds like a wonderful man.

    I too hate traffic! AGHHH is all I have to say about that! Fish tacos are awesome, but the best ones I've had are always on a beach vacation (Mexico, Florida, etc.) So I'm not much help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to the traffic mess. I caught myself thinking the same thing on our way back from the beach. I could have run ten miles 30 minutes faster than it took to drive it. 3 syllable crazy traffic. Hope you get a break soon!

    ReplyDelete